Precinct Election Officials (PEO’s) / Poll Workers
Every Election Day, hundreds of Sandusky County voters contribute to our communities by helping to operate polling places. Sandusky County Precinct Election Officials help safeguard our election process. Many Precinct Election Officials find their experience rewarding and return to serve year after year. However, Sandusky County needs more Precinct Election Officials. If you choose to serve at a polling location, you will receive training and be paid for your time.
Being a Precinct Election Official (PEO) is a great way for students, retired individuals, those who work part-time or anyone with a flexible schedule to earn a little extra money while serving their community. Precinct Election Officials are the front line of the election process and our democracy is dependent upon their service.
Precinct Election Workers are a necessary component to having successful elections in Ohio. Thousands of Ohioans sign up to be PEO’s every year and some folks serve for many years. However, there is always a need to recruit additional workers as our current PEO’s retire. You may make new friends, see old friends and neighbors, while helping to facilitate a successful election and get paid!
The Sandusky County Board of Elections trains approximately 300 precinct election officials for every election. Mandatory training sessions are held a few weeks prior to each election and last about two (2) hours. You are paid for your attendance.
To become a Precinct Election Official you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 17 years of age and a registered voter
- You must be registered to vote in the county you wish to be a Precinct Election Official
- You have not been convicted of a felony (unless the conviction has been reversed, expunged or pardoned)
- You will need to have transportation to and from the polls
- You cannot be a candidate or a campaign treasurer for the election in which you are working (unless it is outside the district in which you are running)
- You will be required to attend a training session
- You will need to work from about 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Some rare circumstances could alter these times (i.e.; court order to keep polls open longer)
You may also sign up by calling / emailing our office directly:
Sandusky County Board of Elections
2020 Countryside Dr.
Fremont, OH 43420